Healthier Eating One Meal at a Time


note: the chocolate covered strawberries were made for my daughter's birthday and are not my idea of daily healthy eating but they were made homemade so they are not terrible!
Healthier eating habits can be learned- one meal at a time. It's a matter of making the right choice.

It isn't always easy to make the right choice. We can always find some kind of excuse why we do not have time or maybe we give into an emotional need for some kind of comfort food that really isn't healthy. Once you have made up your mind that you really need to focus on a better you making healthier choices will be easier.

One meal at a time!

For me the commitment is due to finally seeing how worn out I look. Even though I routinely walk at least 1 mile (often more) daily, my body is flabby and I have too many figure flaws to mention. I also just don't feel well.

Stress is a lot of it but also what I am putting into my body has a lot to do with it. I am determined to change it up and to do that I have to commit to healthier eating always.

For now there is no talk of "cheat" days. I need to see progress before I allow that. It seems to me I have had enough "cheat" days and that is what brings me to where I am.

After my morning coffee (the only cup I will have today and probably will be cutting it out permanently) I made a smoothie with 1 1/2 cups of fresh pineapple and 1 cup of fresh strawberries. I only added about 1/4 cup spring water and blended it together in the magic bullet. It was delicious and helped me get my morning chores done.

For lunch I chopped up two large Romaine leaves and 1 sliced hard-boiled egg and rolled it up in a whole grain tortilla. It was very filling.

Mid-afternoon I started to crave something bad and thankfully there was nothing bad to be found in my kitchen. Instead I took a pint of blueberries, two bananas and some spring water and made a pitcher of smoothies. One for now and the rest for another day. It did thicken a lot so the leftover will be a base with some more fruit and water.

Dinner will be leftover spinach and tomato pasta sauce with a Romaine salad. If I get hungry for a snack tonight I have some fresh watermelon already cubed and ready for snacking.

My rule is to have smaller portions of foods that aren't so good (like pasta) and eat more of closer-to-nature foods like fresh vegetables and fruits. I know there are hidden sugars in fruits and I am being careful about the calories/sugars from those.

For now I am happy to make it through a day without eating foods with ingredients I cannot pronounce. Along with exercise I figure I should notice some results in a few weeks which will help me keep along this journey to a new me.

No comments:

Post a Comment