Chicken Soup with Spinach and Orzo

It's soup weather!!!

We've been fighting a cold around my house lately and a cool November day is the perfect time for a nice pot of chicken soup. Loving spinach as I do I've been toying with the idea of making a soup that combines my love of spinach along with the husband's favorite chicken soup.

The following is my recipe for homemade chicken soup with spinach and orzo. Enjoy!!!

By mid-winter my freezer will have plenty of homemade stock in it but since the weather around here is just starting to become soup-worthy I had to cheat a little and use a helper. I love Wegman's and their organic chicken stock is really hearty and makes for a great soup base. Here's how I got started making my delicious chicken soup with spinach and orzo.



In my non-stick dutch oven I slowly cooked 1 medium onion (chopped well) in 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Once the onion became somewhat transparent I added 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic.



Then I added 1 cup of raw, chopped chicken breast. I slowly cooked this until the chicken was no longer pink and then I added my chicken stock-


I used the entire 32 ounce container and also added 32 ounces of water.

Then I added the following:

1 cup of frozen chopped spinach

1 cup of diced carrots (fresh)

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

I turned the soup down to a simmer and allowed it to cook until the carrots were tender. This took about 1 hour.

I didn't put the orzo right into the soup but instead cooked it separately and put some orzo in a bowl first and then added soup.

Just add salt and pepper to taste and that's all!

Delicious the next day this soup would also freeze well.



Again the finished pictures were an afterthought; we were too busy enjoying it to remember to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment