Annies Shells & Real Cheddar A Review


























Being the type that absolutely hates processed foods, buying a box of macaroni and cheese mix is something I never do. Unfortunately I recently had major surgery and not knowing what to except from my recovery I decided that having some easy-to-make meals would be a good idea.

I cooked and froze several things before my surgery date in anticipation of not being able to get around. My surprise recovery is another story but in the meantime I decided on one horribly cold day that comfort food was just what I needed.

I decided to make Annie's Shells & Real Aged Cheddar. It is made with Organic pasta and the box promises no artificial flavors, synthetic colors or preservatives.

Preparing this is similar to Kraft mac & cheese or any store brand. Basically you cook the macaroni and then drain it. You add the envelope of powdered cheese to a few tablespoons of milk. Annie suggests using 1/2 cup lowfat yogurt in place of the milk or adding some butter for more flavor. Not having any yogurt I used some fat free milk and a small pat of butter. The cheese sauce mixed up similar to other mixes I have made.

For variety I could have added some freshly steamed broccoli but I decided to see how well (or not) this tasted on its own.


It's been a really long time since I have had anything like this. I didn't miss it.

Even though there are no artificial flavors in this mix it still had a processed taste to it. It was creamy but far from homemade. I guess if I was feeding young children and I was in a hurry I would choose this brand over the more popular ones out there. You could add some of your own cheese to make it taste better and of course, vegetables are always a perfect add-in.

Would I buy this again?

Doubtful. I prefer to make my own and knowing my way around the kitchen, making a quick white sauce to make into cheese sauce is simple. For those who like macaroni and cheese but don't want all the artificial stuff, Annie's was a good value. Just $.99 for the box which is pricier than store brands but it is more natural than anything else I have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment