Chicken Parm Lasagna with Spinach


I used to have time and ambition to cook really fantastic made-from-scratch meals but lately I've just been throwing together a quick meal here and there. This morning I had the idea to make a special lasagna with chicken parmigiana in it.

After going to two different stores ( forgot the ricotta at the first store) I got home and surprised myself by actually following through with this huge task.

Here's how I made my lasagna. If you have about 1 1/2 hours to spare and the ambition, this is totally worth the effort.


First I started by making a simple marinara sauce. In a large pot I slowly cooked some chopped garlic (about 1 teaspoon) in two tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Be real careful not to let the garlic brown. As soon as you can smell the garlic mixing with the oil pour in two large cans of crushed tomatoes. I added some freshly chopped parsley and some (about 1 tablespoon) dried basil. I put a lid on it and turned it down to simmer.

Next I took a package of fresh baby spinach leaves and washed it well and set it aside.

I took two boneless chicken breasts, held them lengthwise and cut them into uniform slices. ( a little less than 1/2" thick) I dipped them in a beaten egg and then coated them with breadcrumbs.

I put some olive oil into a frying pan and starting frying up the chicken.

Meanwhile I sliced some mozzarella cheese into thin squares.


Once the chicken was cooked I parboiled the lasagna noodles.

Then I mixed up the ricotta with some freshly chopped parsley, black pepper and an egg.


I did not add any salt to anything except the water I cooked the noodles in. The husband is watching his sodium intake.

Next I got everything ready to start putting together the lasagna.


In a disposable lasagna pan I started with spreading about 2 ladles full of sauce on the bottom of the pan.


Next I laid 3 noodles on top.


I put a little bit of sauce on top and then lined up my chicken.


I topped the chicken with a slice of cheese and some sauce.


Next I put a layer of noodles over it.


I topped that layer with ricotta and mozzarella slices.


I added another layer of noodles with sauce on top.


Next I took the baby spinach and put a thick layer on top, ripping it apart with my hands. The spinach will cook down so right now it looks like a thick layer but after cooking it shrinks.


I topped the spinach with mozzarella.


I then added my final layer of noodles, covered it with sauce and some more cheese.

I covered it with foil and put it into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I served it.

The chicken was flavorful and so tender. All the flavors worked so well together. I bet tomorrow it will taste even better. ( lasagna ALWAYS is better the second day)

No comments:

Post a Comment