Hearty Breakfast in One Pan!


Weekends are perfect for this hearty one-pan breakfast/brunch dish. I made this dish using just one frying pan which did take a bit longer but in the end, I only had one frying pan to wash which made the extra time worth it.

With the ingredients I used it could easily feed 4 people generously but halfway through making this I decided to put half the ingredients away and adjusted the eggs to make this two generous servings. The potatoes and bacon I had already cooked I put into a container to save time for another day's quick breakfast.

Here's my recipe- (this is for 4 or more servings)


3 medium to large red potatoes - washed clean but skins left ON!


Cube those potatoes and then put them into a large frying pan or wok with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Start cooking them over a medium flame.


Once they start to get browned, add some chopped onion.


I used yellow onions because that is what I had at home but red onions would be nice also.

Just spread them over the potatoes and continue to cook.


Potatoes NEED salt and I am in love with this kosher salt. I sprinkled about 1/2 teaspoon over the potatoes and onions and added 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. The potatoes take about 25 minutes to cook and when they are done they will look like this.


I removed them from the frying pan and put into a serving dish and stuck them out of the way in my oven. ( mostly so I don't munch on them while I finish the rest of this recipe)

Using the same frying pan next up is the bacon.

To make the process faster, first I chop a 12 ounce package of bacon and then add it to the pan and start cooking.


Unless I need the slices whole I always chop the bacon first. It seems to cook easier that way.


Once you have reached the ideal crispiness, remove the bacon to a plate that has been lined with paper towels in order to absorb any excess fat. Since you are going to use the same pan, pour the bacon grease into an empty can.

Mix the bacon with the potato/onion mixture.

Next melt about 1 tablespoon of butter in your frying pan.


This is when I decided that making this full recipe was too much so I took half of the potato/bacon mixture and put it in a container for another time. I then cracked 4 eggs.

I beat them until they were light and fluffy.


I poured the eggs into the frying pan and as they were scrambling I added the potato/bacon mixture.

Right before they were done I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese on top. (about 1/4 cup but you can use more or less according to your tastes)


Serve immediately and enjoy.

The leftover potatoes and bacon stored well in the refrigerator. I did use them a few days later for a quick start to dinner. This recipe might be a great weekend breakfast but it is also makes a good dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment