What's for dinner? How about homemade Stromboli??

Cooking is a stress releaser for me. When I need a pick-me-up for my mood, I head to the kitchen. I do have to push myself sometimes but once I get started, it usually boosts my mood. Today was food shopping morning and I decided to do something fun for dinner. Strombolis and popcorn chicken. Since I did go shopping, I had plenty to keep me busy in the kitchen.

Prep produce and meat when you get home from the supermarket and it will save tons of time when it is time to cook dinner.

Here are pictures of how I made stromboli for dinner tonight.

Ingredients used:
1 package frozen pizza dough (contains 2 separate doughs) defrosted overnight
1 lb. sausage meat
1- 6oz package of pepperoni
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 cups shredded mozzarella and provolone
olive oil
flour
1 teaspoon fresh garlic



First dust your countertop (cleaned beforehand) with flour and then using a rolling pin, roll out the dough. You can leave it a little thicker and your stromboli with be doughier. I rolled it out pretty thin.

 This stromboli will be sausage. I took the cooled sausage meat that I added garlic to and crumbled in with my hands. I spread it evenly around the dough. Notice I leave an edge all the way around.
 This stromboli will be pepperoni. Did the same as above (oops-obviously, I taste tested the pepperoni!)
 Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheese. In this case I used 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup mozzarella/provolone combination. At this time you could use Italian seasoning on top or add onions, peppers or mushrooms.
 Rolling is the fun part. As you gently roll it, tuck the ends over the top of the roll. When you get to the end, you can use water to seal or olive oil or egg wash.
Rolling and tucking in the sides as you go
After you are done rolling, place it on a cookie sheet that has been wiped with olive oil. Brush olive oil on the top also.

Bake this is a preheated 425 degree oven. It takes about 25 minutes. Allow it to cool slightly and remember, the fillings will be hot!!!
Ignore the family size thin crust pizza- that was made a few Sundays ago. The strombolis are on the left. I couldn't take a picture of these because they are just going in the oven.

This is an easy to make dinner. The kids can help and you can fill it with any combinations. Tomorrow- more ideas on what to do with frozen pizza dough. enjoy!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks sooo good. I love the original pics. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete